Posted in Business
Reviewing Your Marketing Strategy
A marketing strategy can have a number of goals or a single one, depending on where you are at with your business. Good marketing campaigns will focus customer attention on your products and services or they can simply highlight your ‘brand’ as a whole. If you are making up your marketing as you go along, a strategy put down in writing can help you identify marketing weaknesses and strengths and also help you keep to budget.
Diversifying Your Marketing Campaign
Just like your business, your marketing campaign needs to be diverse and able to cover all the bases when trying to reach customers. Some of the different aspects of your campaign you may wish to look at are:
- Your Digital Marketing – more and more people are finding what they need online and if you are not paying for search engine advertising or SEO, then you may be losing business.
- Face to Face – while you don’t have to be cold calling people, you can use direct marketing techniques in your store as well as when customers call for an inquiry.
- Traditional Print – Think the local newspaper, classifieds etc. This may include more traditional marketing techniques like flyer printing for more cost effectiveness.
- Video Marketing – Creating corporate audio visual presentations and sales pitches is an easy way to share your company’s message but should be a longer term strategy.
Using Traditional Marketing in Different Ways
There is a lot of hype surrounding digital marketing and while it should be an important part of your strategy many businesses do not back it up with solid traditional marketing campaigns. The beauty of digital marketing and traditional marketing is that they can be done in unison to create a stronger brand or product message. Here are some ideas for your traditional campaigns such as advertisements in newspapers, flyers or word of mouth techniques:
- Always mention your website on your promotional material – this gives customers a destination other than your store.
- Use QR codes (those pixel pattern things you see everywhere) to let savvy shoppers go straight to your product information.
- Combine online and offline vouchers – this can help you gauge the success of either campaign more effectively.
Testing the Results
Checking your return on investment for your marketing efforts is vital and we recommend that you run similar campaigns through different means to test the results. In the end there are no tried and true methods for marketing, but planning and understanding what you are doing will help you to hone your sales skills. Make sure you have clear records (and goals in your marketing strategy) so that you can see if you are surpassing or falling short of expectations.
Wash and Repeat
If at first you don’t succeed change and try again but do not stop mid-campaign – give each form of marketing time to work. Make sure that changes you do make can be measured, as you don’t want to change something that is working already. Eventually, you will have a solid marketing strategy that can be run month to month without any changes!